Welcome to the Old McKendree Chapel
A National Methodist Shrine
|Situated on two pastoral acres in a grove of oak and maple trees, Old McKendree Chapel is regarded as the oldest Protestant church structure standing west of the Mississippi River.
With the thicket of trees providing a good shade and the spring at the base of the rise dispensing refreshing cold water to travelers, this peaceful setting was an ideal location for camp meetings. Mckendree Church was organized in July of 1809 following one of those meetings.
In 1819 skilled workmen built the chapel from huge poplar logs. The first services were held during 1819, and regular church services were held until around 1890. Since then, the chapel has been used for special service such as weddings, baptisms, reunions, and an annual Easter Sunrise Service.
The Chapel has been renovated to its present condition with funds from the District Board of Church Extension. The Chapel is listed in the National Archives of the Methodist Church and the National Register of Historic Places in the United States.
Winter Hours: 8 am to dusk
Summer Hours: 8 am to 7 pm
Picnic Table and Shelter --- Rest rooms available
Chapel Attendant - for booking and grounds contact:
David and Theresa Hopkins (573) 204-3633